[audio] Call for an updated enhanced quicktime audio library or a small audio complementary library!

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Fri May 14 07:49:14 EDT 2010

We have a  runrev "hole" that would call for an external library regarding
basic audio functions :
-- runrev uses quicktimes, and just allow to play and record, full stop.
-- a quicktime external "enhanced" library does add a quite a lot of
functions. But it is mostly targeted at video. Example : the transition
filter does not seem to deal with the audio channels.. so no audio fade in
or fade out. Up to now it is the great and only existing sound library for
runrev, thanks to Trevor Devore.

It took me quite a while to come up with a solution to record sounds and
concatenate them and then output a mp3 file. The only decent solution I
found was to record wave, transcode in mp3 using lame and then re-transform
into .mov with trevor devore eQt lib, to finally import a compact internal
audio file in the form of a movie, since internally runrev does not read
mp3, and finally destroy the intermediate files... pfffff!!! The next person
that talls me that runrev reduces programming by an order of x10... i'll ask
to demonstrate with what should be a simple task like that!! for me it was
more like complication of x100 magnitude because I nearly found the no
solution wall, and frankly, this is not satisfactory to deploy. And there is
more now :

Sound quality is something important to users, even unconsciously it brings
a sense of quality. Se we miss just a few basic sound functions like :

A) to enhance quality of recorded wave files :
1- fade in / fade out
2- cross mix fade in and out between two or more files.
3- normalization
4- a simple basic reverb/echo combined for voice/music with basic setting

==> Just 1) and 2/ would already be great to deal with recorded material
within runrev !

B) to output mp3 (so far we have to use lame which is great, but, implies
installing that on each computer... an included plugin would be much more
simple and reduce risks of support issues)

C) ?? if hunger for .. basic mix functions between deifferent sound files,
opening up a new era for runrev for music tools...

D) some in depth tools like a library to open up a wave file extract content
and make it possible to add expand audio libraries in xTalk. There was an
revOline stack that showed how to do that already, but outlined one need
basic quicker library functions to make it operationnal.

I personnaly do not have the competence to do that, otherwise I sure would!

Some of you and some french folks in particular, have made some great audio
work already using runrev. I do believe that runrev could attract more of
that music and sound NRJ. And I personnaly would of course pay for such
libraries, if that cost can be shared (smile.. to sell it back tu runrev
afeter??!!)

Any thought welcomed...

-- possibly to confirm the need for that (Am I all alone there??! smile!)

-- help target (what do we really need as a whole) ??

-- help set up something to make it happen (hunger strike at runrev or
pre-ordering to an interesting party?)

So long from France!