News on revMobile

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:55:38 EDT 2010

  While I don't like Microsoft, and they have tried to
force people to use their shabby browser, at least they
haven't got up to the same sort of restrictive practises
that Apple have; consider:

I can wander down the road into any tatty-old computer shop
and buy a tatty old PC and get some sort of Windows running
on it relatively easily (as I can, even more easily with Linux).

Apple have always tied their operating systems to their
machines.

The 'iPad thing' is really just an extension of the same sort of thing.

This may, after all, be one of the reasons why Apple have never commanded
more than about 10% of the market.

I know that Windows is a second-class product; but it works to
a certain extent in areas where Mac OS cannot even bootup the install
disk.

Unless Apple "democritise" they will probably go the way of all
aristocracies; and, just perhaps, it is Apple that should feel threatened
by Linux, not Windows.