sound volume - sound engineering

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu May 6 10:53:57 EDT 2010

I was not aware that one could play two sounds at the same time on Rev
anyway....

With the shorter delays, it has that strange boxy sound that one sometimes
gets when trying to record one's voice with a native digital audio
workstation:  "latency".  There are some cancellations in that situation
when the delay times are very short like this. What makes such delays
interesting is that if one changes the delay length over time, one could
create 'flanging' or 'phasing' effects.

Years ago, just before the Beatles, Capitol Records came out with a process
called "Duophonic" so they could put out 'stereo'  records that were
originally recorded in mono. It was horrible sounding, like those cheap back
seat speaker car delays.   Back then we record buyers just made an effort to
buy the mono versions if they had this 'effect'.  I went further and
imported the English mono versions of Rubber Soul and others- they sounded a
lot better. The big travesty was when Capitol US issued some Beatle Records
with that effect, EMI-Parlophone complained about the use of the effect on
US releases and stopped the practice.