Newbie question

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue May 4 20:36:14 EDT 2010

Yes, the primary difference between Hypercard and Revolution is that in HC cards WERE your records. Similar data got added in fields on many cards with the same "background". With Revolution, you have access to use SQL databases, so cards become more like forms that temporarily hold data for the user to work with. You script reading from and writing to the SQL tables. Using that method, you can see that there is not much use for backgrounds as such, except to repeat elements in order to maintain some kind of consistent "look and feel".

For example, a logo could be set as a background so it only needs to be added once, and it shows up on every card looking and acting the same. I have an app I am working on that connects to an SQL database, and each card is a form to a particular table. But the navigation buttons and menus and such all work the same way on each card. So I make the navigation button group a background, and program the buttons in a generic way so that the code works no matter which card I am working with.

Cards are so yesterday. :-)

Bob