RevStore

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 07:02:20 EDT 2010

  I'm sorry I took some time to respond to this; but fell into to bed
far too late last night, having got myself
(I really need to control myself) stirred up by a certain person.

I am sorry about my contribution to that fairly ugly stramash.

>>> Exact ! Rev is not the problem ! WE (REV PRO DEVLOPERS) WILL REMIND THE PROBLEM AS LONG AS WE WILL NOT BECOME ABLE TO BUILD COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE BASED TEAMS<=>  APPLICATIONS.

2 points here:

1. "Rev is not the problem ! "  No it isn't; but that statement somehow
reminds me of Bulgarian communists
      who say "Communism was not the problem; it was just that people
misunderstood it and refused to
      become good communists."

     I think that Rev may be part of the problem, because problems are
never one-sided, and are usually
     extremely complicated.

     Certainly, if the Rev documentation could be sorted out, brought up
to date, and purged of references
     to things and features that are not there any more (c.f. refs to
making standalones for ancient computer
     systems), that would make things a lot smoother.

2. "I think a great problem for Rev stacks is that they are mostly
created by one-man or woman shops."

     I think that is only a problem if you expecting socking-great
stacks on a par with Adobe Photoshop and so
     on.

    To my mind Runtime Revolution is the ideal RAD for developing things
to plug vital but overlooked niches
    (c.f. my Devawriter; the beginning of a series of systems for
digitising language texts that use extremely
    complicated writing systems). It is often a backroom boy/girl who
spots these niches and is able to plug
    them reasonably quickly.

    While my Devawriter is not "state of the art" confectionary it does
what it sets out to do in a reasonably
    aesthetic sort of way; one is tempted to wonder if, with that sort
of program, a whole hierarchy of
   "project directors, artists, photoshop experts, animators, etc."
would have made a particularly
    significant difference. Particularly as what was required was a font
expert, was reasonably
    competent with GIMP and RunRev, and had a working knowledge of
Sanskrit = me . . . :)

    What, to my mind, is far more important than a whole hierarchy of "
. . . . " is that each program should be
    put through fairly rigorous Beta testing before it is released.

I don't know whether we need to have a "committee of experts" to judge
what could and what couldn't
be included in some sort of Rev website like the Apple one:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/  (gosh, just thinking about it as a
possibility makes me excited)

or things couldn't be a bit more Darwinian; if they fly they fly, and if
they crash they crash.