How to generate a runnable Mac standalone from Windows

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 17 12:17:43 EDT 2010

I'm writing an installer and would like to give our customers the option
of installing both Mac and Win versions on a portable drive, such as a
USB flash drive.

I can store the app bundle parts in custom props and spit them back out
as needed, no prob.  The issue is that the Mac executable within the
bundle needs to have its Unix permissions set to executable, something
that AFAIK can't be done from within Windows.

As a workaround based on an earlier related discussion here, I'm
considering storing a zipped copy of the Mac app bundle, and spitting
that zip file out with an instruction for the user to unzip it on OS X
before running it there.

But that's a lot of hassle for them and many users will just get confused.

It'd be much nicer to be able to spit out a working Mac app bundle - but
how can I do that from Windows?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation