reading and converting web page HTML text

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 22:20:25 EST 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 7:07 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Mark Stuart wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Looking up runrev Dictionary for "HTML", does result in a find
>> (HTMLtext),
>> which mentions the following near the very end.
>> Special characters (whose ASCII value is greater than 127) are
>> encoded as
>> HTML entities. Revolution recognizes the following named entities:
>> <<
>> and then it lists all the entities it currently supports.
>> I'd say that using the HTMLtext function would handle all these html
>> entities. But it appears to not do that.
>> Therefore, should I submit a bug report on this?
>
> Theh """ entity works. I'm not sure why it isn't in the list.

The list is only for high ASCII.  Quote is ascii 34, unless you are
thinking curly quotes.
My belief is that if you are doing work for clients, you should use
the actual html entities yourself, rather than trust that Rev will
always do this properly.  The reason is that Rev is not a robust html
tool nor is it designed to be.  This is especially true if you need to
work with Unicode and entities (a very complex adventure)

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas