How to launch an application (like "word" from a stack?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jun 18 12:17:46 EDT 2010

Peter Brigham MD wrote:
> Hmm... On my system (MacBook, OSX 10.5.8, Rev Studio 4.0.0-gm-1, build
> 950) the following works fine:
>    launch "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word"
> whereas
>    launch "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app"
> does not work. In the Finder on my Mac, the MSWord application does not
> have the ".app" suffix, so I would have been surprised if using
> "/Microsoft Word.app" had worked, since it doesn't correspond to an
> identifiable file on my drive.

I'm sure the ".app" suffix is there, OS X needs it. The Finder has an
option to hide extensions though, and probably that's set on your Mac. I
think hiding them is the default setting; I always change it back to
show extensions. But I'm not sure why you can't launch Word when you do
include it, since it certainly exists on the file bundle. I wouldn't
think Rev would discriminate between file names based on the user's
visual view.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com