[OT] Installing Linux fonts

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 14:42:33 EDT 2010

On 06/14/2010 02:02 PM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Richmond, one sees no signs they are even working on this - and other
> problems.  Are expressions of anger and impatience any less productive than
> compliant silence?  This is not an excusable way for a company to behave!

No; you don't see any signs that they are working on "this"; but one
opens the window
one fine summer morning and find the field behind the house carpetted
with mushrooms;
not having realised that the whole field was bursting with growing,
burgeoning hyphae
until the fruiting-bodies burst forward.

I don't know, however (and nor do you, for that matter) what is going on
with the incipient 4.5 release, and the subsequent 5.0.

Now many other companies (Apple, Microsoft, Adobe to start with) don't
feel a desperate urge to share with the existing clients what is going to be
in the upcoming release of their thing: so it might be a bit
disingenuous to expect
RunRev to behave any differently.

Had you paid the money to attend the Edinburgh conference you would,
probably,
have been invited to attend the Non-Disclosure Event at the end where
those who attended
(myself included) were told quite a lot of things about what to expect
in 4.5 and so on.

Unfortunately for you; you neither paid the money to attend that event,
and I, having
signed the NDA, am not prepared to tell you what we were told. Well . .
. :) to be honest,
owing to various factors, I cannot remember all that much anyway.

Of course if you shell out the money for RunRev Enterprise, as far as I
can gather, you
will get your hands on the beta builds of 4.5 and so on as they come
down the pipe.

What I do know; is that if you were to write to me, as a developer, the
way you are
going on about joinery and pipe-bending to RunRev it would make me so
bloody-minded
I would deliberately NOT sort out the things you were talking about.
But, then, I am the chap
who when a 4 x 4 hoots at me because I am an extremely careful driver, I
stop the car,
turn off the lights, and go and have "an intimate little chat" with the
driver of the 4 x 4.
Bulgarian drivers NOT being the same as drivers in Britain.

RunRev are what they are; a group of close-knit individuals who work the
way they do,
and I, at least, have come to accept them the way they are; not my way,
obviously not
your way, but nevertheless coming up with something pretty good. Now it
seems to me that
both Thee and Me have been bashing on about FONTS long enough to give
the folks in
Edinburgh a nice set of cluster headaches; so I suggest we now give
things a rest, and
see what appears with 4.5. AT that point, if things are not what either
of us require we
can either accept it for what it is, or decamp and adopt another RAD for
our needs.