Linux application icon

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:18:46 EDT 2010

On 06/13/2010 10:46 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:
> The Rev IDE gives the ability to create the icon for Mac and Windows applications but not LInux. How do I do this for a Linux application?
>
> Bill Vlahos

A bit of a "humphy" thing.

You need to make a PNG image of your icon.

As far as I am aware (probably Peter Alcibiades can help you here) the
end-user will then have to assign the PNG as the icon to the standalone
via the Properties palette in the Window manager. Of course there is always
the risk that they will assign a different image as an icon - but you cannot
really have freedom with restrictions, and Linux systems do allow an
incredible
amount oif customisation and mucking about.

Out of interest; if you assign an icon to a standalone under KDE it does not
usually stick should you then change to another Window manager such as
GNOME or XFCE (obviously if you transfer to some sort of minimalist
W-Manager
that does not feature icons the question doesn't arise).  Mind you, I
suppose that
most folks stick with one W-manager (I use GNOME on most of my machines with
Ubuntu - but Mint Linux with XFCE is rather attractive).

I have found no other way to do things; a right bu**er as it means that
when the
end-user cracks open the archive you distribute your standalone + PNG image
in, they have to assign the icon; and, obviously, not all end-users will
either
know how to do that or be bothered to do it.