Shell Command with Sudo

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 04:17:41 EDT 2010

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote:

> This is all very charming, but I wonder how one would
> effect this from a standalone on an end-user's machine . . .  :)

You'd have to write an install or first use shell script.  Get the user,
then the root password, then write an extra line to /etc/sudoers.  The
advantage, though it will not matter to many, is that you don't store the
password in the app and don't have to supply it at each use of the commands,
and that you have restricted your privileges to one named user and one
variant of one command.

Justin's solution is very nice, agreed.  Probably more practical and
certainly easier to do.  But, you do end up storing the password, and what
commands can be executed is not limited, nor is which user limited.

Or maybe this is wrong?  That is what the effect, I think, would be on
Debian, which ships without sudo built in.  Maybe these distros that ship
with sudo are preconfigured to allow any user to sudo with their own login
password?  In which case they can do sudo su -?  I don't much like that idea
either, that cannot be surely?