HyperCard was huge in its day, Jobs said

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Jun 10 14:28:16 EDT 2010

On 2/6/10 05:03, Colin Holgate wrote:
> Unfortunately, Steve was making the point that Flash being big doesn't prove that it will live forever, after all, look at HyperCard. The blog I followed reported that the crowd laughed at his HyperCard comment.
>
> He also seems to be making the mistake that a lot of people have, thinking that Flash is only used for video, and that if Flash dropped to 50% of use for playing video, that means that all Flash usage has dropped to 50%.

It's here if you want to check - about 8-9 minutes in:

http://video.allthingsd.com/video/d8-steve-jobs-on-the-iphone-origin/3BBFA695-DC39-4834-9E39-7097C9CE1243

Colin's right about the general reception of his comment - but I think that's
scepticism about his SJ's claim that HyperCard was bigger than Flash - and
that SJ was only making the reference in order to reiterate that HC is dead.

FWIW However, I think Colin's second point is off. Jobs is explicitly reacting
to the point that Flash isn't just video: that's why he's comparing Flash to
HyperCard, as a development environment - and saying he was prepared to kill
that development environment, and he's prepared to live without Flash as a dev
env as well.