combo box messages

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jun 4 22:40:11 EDT 2010

DunbarX at aol.com wrote:
> A problem was posted to the forums. SomeOne wanted to type text into a
> field, and have that text dynamically located among the lines of another
> scrolling list field such that closer and closer matches are found as the text
> entry gets longer.
>
> Easy to do. Two fields, some lineOffset stuff, etc.
>
> I was wondering if a combo box couldn't act like that on its own. The text
> entry field does respond to field messages, like "keyUp", but it takes some
> finagling to pop open the box:
>
> click at item 1 of the topRight of me - 5 & "," & item 2 of the topRight of
> me +5
>
> But then I am stuck on how to scroll the contents of the combo box based on
> additional text entry. In fact, how to continue text entry (with the box
> open) at all. Very few messages are sent from an open combo box, in fact,
> none, and that is my problem. As a pertinent side issue, is there a property
> that returns the "scroll" of an open combo box?

They don't really work that way. You can check for an offset of the
button contents and set the label accordingly. Or you can change the
menuhistory to automatically insert the desired line, but the menu won't
pop up like you want it to. The menu portion is pretty much a
manual-only control, just as you can't pop down a system menu via script
either.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com