Regarding Rodeo discussions

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jul 25 23:30:23 EDT 2010

On 7/25/10 9:43 PM, Robert Mann wrote:

> So rodeo could well be just a piece of the revTalk puzzle, like dataGrids
> are.. tRev is... and so on.. and have a place here.

No. Datagrids and tRev can be used within Rev and become an integral
part of the IDE. Rodeo is a non-Rev product that cannot be used with the
Rev engine. It is not an adjunct to Rev, and the apps it produces cannot
be used with Rev. When it is done reading your stack, its output is no
longer a Rev stack.  Rodeo can be used by anyone without needing a copy
of the Rev engine, and the only connection it has with Rev stacks is
that it can read them and turn them into something else.

That's really quite amazing and awesome when you think of it, and
people's excitement is palpable, but it isn't Rev.

> The major underlying issue is what is this list for? runrev exclusiveley..
> or all revTalk related subjects?

Rev exclusively. With perhaps occasional announcements about related
products.

HyperCard, SuperCard, Rev, MetaCard, and now Rodeo are all x-talk
products that each have their own list. I personally frequent three of
them and I know some people who read all five. This is not a generic
xtalk list. We do not discuss Lingo here either, which also began as an
xtalk language.

Sorry folks, but in the last few weeks there have been almost 350
messages about Rodeo, which is too much to expect Rev users to "just
delete," particularly when there is an existing venue already set up and
very active. I have been smacked in the face twice by Steve Jobs, once
with HyperCard and again with Rev, and I have no intention whatsoever of
writing iApps at this point. If I change my mind in the future, I know
exactly where to go: the Rodeo list.

I don't fault Jerry or Sarah in any way, they have consistently steered
folks to their own list every time a question comes up. They've been
incredibly professional and understanding about that and I love them
both. But this is not the Rodeo list and I think it's time for
interested parties to continue the discussion over there.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com