confirmed recipe for linux copy & paste trouble...

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jul 22 08:46:14 EDT 2010

Folks,

Thanks for the kind words! I discovered that after cursing the IDE for half
an hour, I could not select text in any fields, not even selection worked,
as soon as I released the mouse button, selection would disapear. I could
not copy and paste controls as well. I wondered if things were actually
going to the clipboard and not being pasted or if they were simply not
copied in the first place. I clicked on the clipboard manager and saw
nothing in there, then I had the eureka moment: "how does that thing traps
the clipboard, could it be breaking it?" and then we know the rest.

This is a common practice to solve linux issues. If something is not
working, look for add-ons that touch those places and see if they are
somehow interfering with it. Linux ecosystem is made by thousands of
software developers and they don't have a plan, guideline and some projects
doesn't even talk to each other to make sure things work well. One as a
linux user is assumed to be in a position to troubleshoot his system but now
that linux is becoming really popular, these guys should be working on
polishing the experience and making sure things cooperate with  each other.

This problem is mitigated if you build everything from source. Modern build
systems adapt the hell out of your code basically making bespoke versions of
the software for the combinations of library and resources you have
installed, thus making sure the software is in an optimum state for the
system but this can't be done for prepackaged binary software. What we could
do is to try to solve some of Rev on linux problems is to create .debs and
.rpms with the correct dependencies set so that one installing Rev would at
least load the required libs as well, this would help I think...

:D