OT: Mac vs Win partisanship is unnecessary

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Wed Jul 21 21:03:59 EDT 2010

Stephen wrote:

 > I find this cry for a Windows version amusing
 > This is payback time

I find an OS-driven personality/identity amusing. I am not anti-Flash,
anti-QuickTime, anti-HTML5, anti-Windows, or anti-Mac. If Flash or
Windows irritate someone, that's fine. I subscribe to the old "Think
Different" philosophy, not one that encourages being the same.

If what's good for the goose applies...why is bashing Mac off limits but
we have gloating directed at Windows users? Come on people, these are
two operating systems (and companies) that drive tools to help us in
life and business, hopefully not two religions or two systems that
should drive us to follow them. Each has its strengths. Each has its
problems. Neither deserves to be a master, because people should use
tools and not the other way around. Mac lovers, more power to you!
Windows or Linux users--the same sentiment exactly, enjoy the OS you prefer.

I signed up with Rodeo and am looking forward to using it. However, a
Windows or web editor would be great too. If I need to always edit on
Mac, so be it, but using one technology or another I'm sure I will be
writing apps for iPhone or iPad from Windows eventually if I so desire.
(If it's an IDE written in Flash, that's fine too!) By the same token I
like to be able to develop for other devices on the Mac if that comes in
handy. That's the great thing about progress--more possibilities, not
fewer. And the Rodeo team has certainly been helpful and nice when
fielding OS and device questions.

As Jerry said, the OS boundaries that force people to choose may be an
illusion. (At least in some situations.) RunRev has surely erased a lot
of boundaries and it looks like Rodeo is off to a good start in that
area too! Let's enjoy that freedom and not force OS choices. To each his
own OS. Let the goose and the gander each observe the same guidelines of
discussion.

Hopefully these comments will be taken in the positive spirit with which
they are offered. Okay, I'll shut up now and get back to coding!

Best wishes,

Curry