Sarah's scheduleMessage script.

Andrew Kluthe andrew at rjdfarm.com
Wed Jul 21 18:33:50 EDT 2010

Hey there!

I always forget to turn my p2p software on before I go to bed at night and I
have oodles of *legal* downloads that I need to catch up on. So, I decided
to try to make a simple timer that would open a program at a certain time
and close it again at a certain time everyday.

I came across Sarah Reichelt's scheduleMessage script on this list.

The problem I am having is, the messages get queued but they never disappear
from the pending messages queue and they never call the handlers I need. It
lets me know they are scheduled at correct times and I can see the messages
in the queue. Why aren't they executing?

the handlers for open and closing the program work just fine. They just
don't execute when they are supposed to.

I have included the entire script here for testing purposes:

on openUTorrent
   launch "C:/Program Files/uTorrent/uTorrent.exe"
end openUTorrent

on closeUTorrent
      set the hideConsoleWindows to true
      get shell("taskkill /IM uTorrent.exe")
end closeUTorrent

on setTimer
   scheduleMessage "openUTorrent", 17, 20
   scheduleMessage "closeUTorrent", 17, 23
end setTimer

command scheduleMessage pMessage, pHours, pMins
   -- pHours is in 24 hour time
   put the seconds into nextTime
   convert nextTime to dateItems
   put item 4 of nextTime into tHourNow
   put item 5 of nextTime into tMinsNow

   if tHourNow > pHours or (tHourNow = pHours and tMinsNow >= pMins)
   then add 1 to item 3 of nextTime
   put pHours into item 4 of nextTime
   put pMins into item 5 of nextTime
   put 0 into item 6 of nextTime

   convert nextTime to seconds
   send pMessage to this stack in nextTime seconds

   --   Uncomment these lines for testing:
   convert nextTime to short system date and long time
   answer pMessage & " scheduled for " & nextTime
end scheduleMessage