Playing a movie in Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 07:09:01 EDT 2010

On 07/18/2010 12:24 PM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Richmond, presumably you used the command to set which the movie player is?
> You did
>
>       set videoClipPlayer
>
> and gave the full path of the executable?  I've never done this, but it
> sounds like it ought to work.  Yes, the instructions in the dictionary on
> what is the default do seem a little out of time.
>
> Maybe the answer is, go out to shell and do the command in the shell.
>
> If you do call it from a shell script, you will not have to give the
> absolute path, just the command with the appropriate command line parameters
> should do.
>
> On what the default player is, it will likely depend on the DTE as well as
> the distro.  With Gnome, it will be mplayer.  With a KDE install, it will be
> the KDE player.  A bit like, if you are using Evolution for email, it will
> open the Gnome browser unless you set the properties and tell it different.
> If you are using kmail, even on a basically Gnome system, it will open links
> in Konqueror.
>
> We don't often do video, but the other day someone filmed a clip, copied it
> from camera to desktop, and it  it simply played as soon as we opened it
> without any further intervention.  So if you do use the shell, it should
> work fine.

The problem; and it is a problem, is that embedded videoClips seem to
crash the IDE
and as each distro and / or window manager works with a different movie
player
end-users of standalines would (quite how, one wonders) have to set
pathways both for
non-embedded video materials and for their specific video player.