RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 01:44:48 EDT 2010

On 07/16/2010 01:02 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Richard, your offer of tracking down and submitting patches or fixes is a
> wonderful gesture.  I will try to document some of them to you privately
> with very complete recipes.
>
> The stuff about RB is a bit dismaying.  I do find it rather forbidding, and
> actually, if forced to leave Rev, have already decided that it will be to
> PyQT.
>
> Now please don't post a list of horror stories about that!  Hopefully there
> are not any.  But you never know....

Actually comparing RunRev's shortcomings with Real BASIC's shortcomings
seems slightly silly:

All RAD tools of this sort have shortcomings insofar as they are attempting
to be all things to all men; i.e. to run on a vast number of operating
systems.

And the small copy-paste problem I pointed out on Ubuntu 10.04 while
Mozilla
apps are running is very SMALL; there are probably lots more VERY SMALL
shortcomings: they are not, ultimately nearly as important as the few BIG
shortcomings - I, for one, know that if the few big shortcomings are
ironed out
will ahrdly notice the small ones. However the presence of the bigs ones
does tend
to concentrate the mind somewhat into a sort of 'witch-hunter' mentality
so one
jalouses at every little blip.

The big shortcomings have already been discussed . . . endlessly.