RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 15 09:30:47 EDT 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> Alejandro, I have never compiled either one from source, they are included in
> the repositories with their dependencies.  Gedit, being a gnome package,
> probably needs the basic gnome libraries.  I looked up Python dependencies
> in Slackware, which does not automatically resolve them, and found a list
> far too long to quote for the different bits of Python.
>
> Rev's task is tiny by comparison.  They have one IDE to support.  Python has
> PyQT, PyGtk, PySqlite....

Python is open source, so it has many more developers working on it than
Rev has.

I agree that there would be many advantages for us consultants and
developers if the Rev engine were open source, but the investors who've
made the engine possible thus far are likely not in a position to
entertain the idea for at least another couple years.

That said, the Rev IDE has nearly all of its source available to us, and
for any issue found in the IDE (a large percentage of reports in the
RQCC) any of us can dive in, find the problem, make a fix, and send the
fix to RunRev for evaluation and inclusion in the next version.

This has happened in the past, but very infrequently because so few bother.

So while we have this semi-open opportunity, I will make this offer:
find an issue in the IDE that affects Linux, and I will do my best to
diagnose it, fix it, and submit the fix.

All I need are repeatable recipes.

Thanks in advance -

--
  Richard Gaskin