RunRev Script Editor and Linux

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 14 23:09:29 EDT 2010

Peter wrote:
>> Tell me, why is there no custom version of gedit for each individual
>> distribution? Or Python?   This is a crazy idea.

I think you're wrong, or else everyone else is crazy too. From Wikipedia:

***
Common practice in Linux and open source in general is to configure
compiler and library packages so that compiled binaries will be tied to
a specific version of the package. For example, the same source code may
successfully compile with two different versions of glibc, but each
resulting binary will be tied to the respective version of glibc.
Therefore, a binary compiled on a given Linux machine will typically
only be compatible with the specific version of the specific
distribution that is running on that machine. As a result, distributions
and third parties maintain extensive repositories with many compilations
of the same source code in order to provide users of different
distributions with access to binaries that will work on their machines.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux>
***

 From the Ubuntu page:

Before release, packages are imported from Debian Unstable continuously
and merged with Ubuntu-specific modifications. A month before release,
imports are frozen, and packagers then work to ensure that the frozen
features interoperate well together.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29>
***

Rev, unlike single-purpose applications, has to touch virtually every
aspect of the OS. It works very closely with it. Rev contains a subset
of the features in almost every app you own -- image editing, web
integration, monitor and hardware interaction, text and unicode display,
menu and window manipulation, and much more. When you think of all the
variations it will encounter in a Linux installation, it makes sense
that there will be problems on systems that contain non-targeted
software. I don't think RR is alone either; most Linux apps need to
specify which libraries are required to run them, and they often list
other software that is incompatible, making you choose.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com