My naming convention

Damien Girard dam-pro.girard at laposte.net
Sat Jul 10 17:06:04 EDT 2010

Hi,

I totally disagree with you, having a naming convention in an enterprise
helps to produce faster application, but I am talking here about real
application, not a funny stack that display few funny effects...

In my other life (a life without RunRev), I am working in a team of 6
developers, everybody is using my naming convention that I told before, and
the productivity gain is incredible, cause, it is not Revolution, it is C,
and I am working on application that have more than 15000 lines, that
communicate with multiple card, and that have dozen threads and hundred
messages.
So, imagine now if everybody do what they want with naming convention ?
> You get lost, nobody can reuse your work.

When I have to work on the file of a colleague, I simply open it, I saw that
he is calling few global with the "g", few statics with the "s" and I can
use few "t" variables. This took me 5 minutes to have in my head a map of
the source code file.. Productivity loss?

And the best things, with naming convention, in NetBeans IDE, I want a
global, I press "g" + Ctrl + Space and I have got all my global listed! Have
just to pick the one that need, no need to look around and find in what .h
file I placed my global..

So, what I wanted to say:
- Small program, utility, sure, no need convention
- Real program, without one, you are dead. (yes, cause your teammates killed
you :p)

My 2 cents (in euros too)

Damien
NativeSoft, France.

PS: Yes I saw the troll, but I am going in ^^