parental control problems - Mac OS X

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 28 14:43:57 EST 2010

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> Jacque,
>
> Here's some more info from our end. Not sure if everyone is
> experiencing this same behavior or not, but in our case, the
> executable inside the app bundle is actually getting damaged. We
> compared an app that had been launched with parental controls enabled
> for it and one that hadn't, and the one that had was about 1 MB
> smaller. When trying to launch the executable directly from Terminal,
> we get a file read error. So in this case, it looks like no amount of
> messing with permissions is going to fix the problem. The file is
> toast at that point.

Well that would certainly explain it.

> Another interesting tidbit of information is that the damage only
> seems to occur on Intel machines. On a PPC machine, we still have a
> problem launching the app when parental controls are enabled, but all
> we have to do to fix it is deselect the app in parental controls. On
> an Intel machine, this does not work. The app is built as a universal
> binary. We're going to try building only for Intel just to see if
> there's any difference.

Sounds like it may be related to a comment that was posted to the web
page I mentioned:

"With the transition to Intel-compatible software a new wrinkle has
developed. Specifically a "universal" binary will only load on Mac OS X
version 10.3.9 for PowerPC-based Macs and 10.4.x for Intel-based Macs.

In some cases the "universal" binary may only load on Mac OS X 10.4 and
newer on PowerPC-based Macs. No error message will appear and no error
entry may appear in the Console - it simply won't launch."

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com