an interesting challenge

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 05:41:16 EST 2010

>> Hello Jim,
>> I agree, but...
>> Here (Wikipedia) it is not only syntaxic explanation but content...  ;-
>> )
>> René
>>
>> PS : "Je vais faire des phrases !" Gustave Flaubert...
>>

> On the anniversary of his passing, I will tell a funny story.
>
> In all the years of our association, Eric and I always spoke and
> corresponded in English. About two months before his passing, I "confessed"
> and told him I had taken two years of French in high school as my "second
> language." He was outraged and said something to the effect of, "After all
> these years you tell me this?"
>
> He then wrote me several emails in French. I understood little of what he
> said and told him we needed to return to English. He said something to the
> effect of, "As you have been my English editor, now I will be your French
> one." ;-)
>
> He was also to be my Mac teacher as I had taught him about PCs. But time did
> not allow.
>
> C'est la vie.
>
> Aloha from Hawaii,
>
> Jim Bufalini

To which I could reply: if you'll be my American English editor I'll be your
British English editor . . .  :)

Words that caused me problems in Illinois:

Hoovering (Vacuuming); as in "I'm sorry I'm late, I've been hoovering at
home."

Hoe (Cultivator); as in "I always use a hoe in the garden."

Tap (Faucet); as in "The tap in the bathroom is leaking."

Fag (Cigarette); as in "I could really do with a fag."

Lady; as in "That lady over there."

Queer (Peculiar); as in "I'm feeling a little queer."

Scones (Biscuits) / Biscuits (Cookies); as in "I'd like to buy some
biscuits."

entre vos mots et mes mots nous avons un mur trop dure! [Come on,
correct my French!]