Attaching files to a document like a file system

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Tue Jan 5 02:22:25 EST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> exporting or viewing the document would be a multi-step process 1)
> Decrypt, uncompress, and export the file to the disk, 2) opening the
> file. This would be additional steps and would leave the unprotected
> file on the file system.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to do this transparently directly from the
> program without saving a copy to the disk but I can't think of it.
> Opening a document that comes via email or web download appears to
> do this but in actuality they download and store a copy of the
> actual document somewhere on disk and then open it.

While this might not be a complete solution, maybe it helps: When you
open a document open it as a temp file so at least the file is not
easily grabbed. When your app closes, or maybe even when a viewer in
your app closes or goes to a new item, have it also write over that
temp file with gibberish, or simply have the temp file deleted.

I did that for an app that played videos that were compressed and
saved as custom properties - then reopened as temp files and played.

sims