Attaching files to a document like a file system

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Mon Jan 4 23:36:25 EST 2010

Good question.

A number of users have asked for the ability to store documents in InfoWallet. These could be anything from pictures or medical image scans to Word or PDF documents for Power of Attorney, Wills, Contracts, etc. The requests have been to have them together with their other information in their "wallet" and to have them encrypted.

I was thinking that I could simply store them in custom properties in their existing data file (i.e. Wallet file). While that would work fine for a small number of documents it would become unwieldy with either many or very large documents. Long before they would reach the 4 GB limit for a stack file (InfoWallet stores its data in a stack file) saving the entire file would take much too long on a USB attached flash drive.

Instead of doing that I was thinking of either cloning a small stack for each document and compressing, encrypting, and adding the document to the custom property of that stack or even more directly just compressing and encrypting the document at the file system in a folder. Either of these would work cross platform. While it wouldn't be a big deal to have the user "import" the document and I process it, exporting or viewing the document would be a multi-step process 1) Decrypt, uncompress, and export the file to the disk, 2) opening the file. This would be additional steps and would leave the unprotected file on the file system.

Perhaps there is a way to do this transparently directly from the program without saving a copy to the disk but I can't think of it. Opening a document that comes via email or web download appears to do this but in actuality they download and store a copy of the actual document somewhere on disk and then open it.

Encrypt-stick software (https://www.encrypt-stick.com/) creates "disk image" type vaults that behave like a password protected, encrypted disk and I thought that was kind of cool but I can't figure out how to do that in Rev. You can create this kind of thing on the Mac with Disk Tools creating an encrypted and password protected disk image but it won't work on Windows or Linux. Since they create a disk-like storage system other programs can open or save directly to it or the user can copy to or from it.

I don't need that level of functionality but it would be good to make the viewing and/or exporting to disk of a stored document a one-step clickable process that doesn't expose the file to the file system.

Bill Vlahos