Error while generating a Linux standalone

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 10:04:00 EST 2010

I have said it before, and I'll say it again until my throat is hoarse:
whatever else
anybody else tells me it is a BIG MISTAKE spinning off standalones for any
platform from a platform other than the target one.

1. Find an old PC with a minimum of 256 MB RAM, a CD drive and a Hard Drive
that
is at least 6 MB (Pentium III or IV, probably best to have at least a 500
MHz processor).
You may have something like this under the bed, in the attic, the garage,
the cellar or
over at Granny's house.

2. Download a Debian Linux distro (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is a good bet); make sure
you download the Alternative Install disk (the GUI on the standard one
grinds to a
halt on tatty old computers).

3. Burn the ISO image onto a CD.

4. Install Linux on your old PC.

(if you cannot do these steps I would be very surprised if you cannot find
at least
one person you know who could do it for you)

5. Download the 30-day trial version of RunRev 4 Studio for Linux.

6. Install it on your Linux PC.

7. Transfer your stack across to the Linux PC.

8. Make sure you have a good look and think about the INCLUSIONS needed when
you set up the standalone settings.

9. Build the Linux standalone.

I know that that is an awful lot more long-winded than just popping out a
Linux
standalone from Mac or Windows; but it really does minimize the chances of
all sorts of horrible things happening when your standalone actually gets to
an end-user's PC!