Ideas to simulate a multithreaded sockets server

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Sat Feb 27 08:30:51 EST 2010

Rebonjour Marcio,

> Hi Pierre,
>
> Thanks for the clarification, I forgot the Linux core forks the
> process
> creating other instances of the application, great.

Always so usefull, in practice ;-)

> What I'm looking for is a way to have an easy-to-install and
> portable server
> that I can deploy to Linux, Windows and Mac with the same protocol.
> Today I
> have a server written in Delphi, but that I can only deploy to
> Windows.

RevServer will feet this need as you expect.

> Today I have a custom protocol built with TCP/IP that I can rewrite
> for the
> PDAs when I find the right technology for the server.

If the PDA part relies on a web browser client and the server part on
on-rev, the onest need is to use an authentication model able to suit
the PDA while its IP changes, some times minute after minute.

If you own such a PDA or iPhone, you can test the way i handle such
authentication model in visiting and creating your iDesk acount at "http://www.woooooooords.com
". Be carefull about the fact that the site is'nt in itself yet
optimised for mobile device displays, only the authentication one is,
at this point. All the server code relies entierly on a .irev lib +
js. No AJAX at this point because i wanted to learn all about irev
before.

> I just moved to on-rev hosting, so I have access to the irev
> technology.

Very good tech, full usable in production mode from yet and i hope to
deliver my first ASP solution relying on on-rev in the forecoming weeks.

> Do
> you have any information on what platforms revServer will be available
> (Linux, Windows, Mac?)

RunRev has decided to make the RevServer available under those three
platforms. I would prefer to see each one available after an other (1.
Linux, 2. OSX or Windows, 3. the last one of OSX or Windows) in the
sense of such a "one delivry after an other" would probably help
RunRev to delivry
- a strong message to the Linux world n-tier devloppers community
- a strong message to the .NET world n-tier devloppers community
- a well incremented marketing message about the RunRev "devlop once,
deploy anyware" policy

> and how and if it will integrate with web servers
> (apache, others?).

Can tell, at this point.

> Your suggestion on irev is great, I'll start testing on my on-rev
> host and
> wait for the revServer.

You're welcome :D

Best Regards,