Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 06:37:10 EST 2010

Richmond, I agree that explanations in terms of the font names doesn't seem
plausible.  But there is another piece of the puzzle which makes me think it
could possibly be Debian (and by extension Ubuntu) related, and that is that
on my old Mandriva installation it did not seem to happen even back in the
old days of 2.6x when the problem was even more acute.  On Mandriva, Rev
seemed to be able to find all the fonts.

So, is it possible that there is something specific to Debian and
derivatives which Rev is interacting badly with?  I don't know however that
Debian handles fonts any differently, so that is a real puzzle.

We could verify by trying it out on Andre's Suse distribution.  If it
happens there, its going to be Rev and Linux in most of its forms.

I'm OK with the dogs bottom - it made me laugh aloud!

Peter