Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 06:01:35 EST 2010

Its a nice idea, not sure whether it is correct, its getting more confusing
all the time.

If we try in OO, we have no avantgarde, and we don't have a simple bookman.
Instead we have a bunch of URW bookmans, and also a plain bookman old style.
Rev seems to have a plain old avantgarde, and also an avantgarde gothic.

Then, in OO again, there is also a URW gothic L.  Maybe this is related to
the avantgarde gothic?

Also, the real thing that makes one dubious, this account doesn't explain
why Rev cannot see the idautomation3of9 font.  This one I am quite sure of,
it is nowhere to be found in the Rev choices, under any variant of its name.
Why not?

Rev does find the urw bookmans, in addition to the itc bookmans.  Or are
these maybe the same thing and its finding them twice?

Peter