[OT] Languages and cultures (was Re: survey)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Feb 20 15:26:28 EST 2010

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Certainly it would be quite difficult to work out the semantic step from
> 'jolly' to
> 'homosexual' unless, of course, there was an awareness of the even
> earlier sense
> of 'heterosexual looseness'.

If I remember right, there was no semantic drift. The group simply
decided arbitrarily that "gay" was the word they wanted to adopt, and
then did so. It could easily have been anything else, and if it had
been, then some other family would have been getting 3 AM phone calls
from 9 year olds who had various, though usually unoriginal, suggestions
for us.

That all stopped when Caller ID became widespread, btw, for which we
remain extremely grateful.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com