Stack working in MACOS, not in Windows.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 19 20:35:42 EST 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> " I, of course the ever- mac-evangelist (Yes I was on Guy's Evangel-list)
> have put off my day of Windows reckoning until this moment, and cannot test
> this out for myself. I am paying the price for my platform bigotry."
>
> It makes no sense.  Virtual machines are not good enough.  If you want to
> develop as a professional for a platform, you have to have that platform in
> physical form to test on.  The most you can do is share a keyboard and
> screen and mouse via hardware switching.

I guess that disqualifies me then. ;) I had a real PC box 10 years ago,
but once I moved to Parallels I never looked back. There was a single
discrepancy (in cursor redraws) in one of my apps in Parallels version
2.x but ever since version 3.0 I haven't ever found any differences. I'm
satisifed that I'm getting the "PC experience" and so far my Windows
clients have never noticed (and most never know) that I test Windows
builds in emulation. For a while I had Ubuntu running as well without
any trouble, but I haven't kept up with that OS since I don't have any
current clients who need software on it.

I can't speak for other emulators, since I've only used Parallels. But I
think the technology has matured enough now that needing to duplicate
physical hardware is becoming a thing of the past.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com