AW: Andre's house - completely offtopic

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:02:28 EST 2010

Kay,

I know this was largely tongue in cheek, but since I've been all over the
region between Hawaii, RMI and FSM, just a comment:

1) Johnston used to be serviced by both Continental Air Micronesia ("Air
Mike") and Air Marshall Islands ("AMI" pronounced "AIMEE"), until it was
mostly decommissioned after its chemical weapons disposal mission ended.
There is essentially nothing to see there any more.  Now when there WAS, you
had to pull the shades on your seats before landing, and while on the
ground.  (This was also the case for quite a while on Kwajalein).

2) Gringos bust it from Hono to Kwaj (2100 miles) in 14.5-18 days in their
new sailboats (the trade wind and currents most of the year are favorable to
this route).  You can do the math on a trip to Oz.  The currents aren't
quite as forgiving as you have to pass Oz and catch it on the way back due
to the prevailing winds and currents at the equator, but you get the idea.
A native in a dugout with a triangle, outrigger, and paddle, should be able
to do roughly the same pace under normal conditions - about 140-150 miles
per day.  No, I've never done the trip myself by boat.  I just know people
who have.  I'd rather not waste my vacation sailing to the most beautiful
dive spots on Earth when I could fly there.

On the backside, though, it takes almost twice as long for the return trip.

  and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."