Sorting question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Feb 11 12:11:08 EST 2010

Malte-

> In most cases, this would make the sequence predictable (if you
> were to set the randomseed to a fixed value).
> I have happened to have written a tiny article on predictable
> random numbers in the last newsletter:

> http://runrev.com/newsletter/february/issue86/newsletter3.php

<I really have to start reading those newsletters...>

Setting the randomseed to a fixed value does indeed provide a
repeatable random pattern, and that's one of the tools I use to
achieve random data testing and still be able to find and repeat a
problem data set.

Setting the randomseed to something less predictable can give results
that are more... er... random:

set the randomseed to the milliseconds

so it depends on what your intentions are.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net