Windows 'run as administrator' property of standalone.

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 04:59:45 EST 2010

Whilst trying to solve a problem of a customer, I noticed that on Vista, a standalone can have a 'run as administrator' property set, which presumably does what it says on the tin.  My recollection is that Pre Vista this was a property which could be set on a shortcut, but not the standalone itself.

I was wondering whether setting this before distribution might reduce the occasional permissions problems which arise.  I was also slightly worried that user levels can apparently be so readily overridden by an executable, and also that there may be unforeseen (by me) adverse consequences if I set this flag before distribution.

So, should I or shouldn't I?

David Glasgow