Simple post examples

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:19:55 EST 2010

> I'm planning to teach my students how to post data to web servers and get
> back results in their stacks. I've got a couple of examples, but I wonder if
> anyone could point me to some examples that would be simple enough for
> beginners. I'm thinking of things like doing a Google search from a stack,
> looking up a weather report, getting local movie information, etc.

Devin, lots of people have suggested GET and that seems to me a better
idea than POST. GET just adds parameters to an existing URL in a way
that will work in any browser as well as in a Rev script.

POST is much harder to visualise as it involves sending parameters in
a way that is invisible to the user.
Also, you need a web site that can accept your POST data and respond
in a useful manner.

GET can be used with Google and many other search sites.

If you want to demo POST, then I think you need to set up a page
(perhaps an On-Rev page), that reads the POSTed data and displays it
back to the user, perhaps with some minor processing to show that the
data has really been received in a usable way.

I have a test page <http://www.troz.net/onrev/samples/test.irev> which
(among other things) allows testing of both GET & POST inputs. There
is a section of the script that just reads the $_POST array and
displays anything it finds. You might find that useful.

Cheers,
Sarah