Geographic Functions, any takers?

Ewan Richardson ewan at supremis.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 19:21:20 EDT 2010

Hi Francis.

Thanks for your reply. Any resources would be greatly appreciated, I can see
an SQL database of locations being very useful. Have already set up a
database of UK lat - longs & towns, postcodes ect, so would be useful to
extend this. If theres enough interest id be happy to allow access to the
database, or a copy for anyone interested.

Spooky that you mention the Haversine formula. Was just prototyping that as
your email bounced in.

function CalculateRiemannDistance thedata
   set the itemdelimiter to comma
   put item 1 of thedata into lat_from
   put item 2 of thedata into long_from
   put item 3 of thedata into lat_to
   put item 4 of thedata into long_to
   put item 5 of thedata into unit

   switch unit
      case "m" -- unit is miles
         put 3963 into unit
         break
      case "n" --unit is nautical miles
         put 3444 into unit
         break
      default
         -- kilometers
         put 6371 into unit
         break
   end switch

   /*** 1 degree = 0.017453292519943 radius ***/
   put converttoRadians(lat_from) into lat_from
   put converttoRadians(long_from) into long_from
   put converttoRadians(lat_to) into lat_to
   put converttoRadians(long_to) into long_to

   /*** apply the Great Circle Distance Formula ***/
put sin($lat_from) * sin($lat_to) + cos($lat_from) * cos($lat_to) *
cos($long_from - $long_to) into dist

return dist
end CalculateRiemannDistance

The world is indeed getting smaller!