[OT] Dead Video and no keyboard

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 09:46:21 EDT 2010

Of course do all of this while being careful of static.

Out of curiosity, with the previous dead card in place, did you get
bong, no video, but a lit up keyboard? assuming you have keyboard
lights that flash when its found.  Does the keyboard light up with the
new card at all during the detection phase?  Are you sure its not
actually booting headless? If you have another machine, and the
ill-mannered one is setup for remote admin, can you confirm that its
not actually up?

As I mentioned before I don't know much about older macs specificall, but..

Can the mac g4 run with a single memory chip installed? If so, you
might try playing a game of musical memory.  Try 1 chip at a time and
see if you get video with a single. (don't know if it requires dual
memory banks to be filled or not)

Also, might want to remove any other pci cards that are in the machine
leaving only video, as well as do the same test again with the old
video card.

Finally, if your keyboard has lights that cycle during detection, can
you pull all video cards out of the machine and see if things cycle up
sans video card?

Are you sure the card you replaced with is compatible with the version
of g4 you have?

A silly thing to check, if your motherboard has additional socketed
types of chips, you might nudge them also just to make sure they're
still seated well enough, and strangely enough if they've managed to
get oxidization on any contacts a nudge can help break things loose
and get things reconnected. (LIke the old atari st, after years of
service then tended to turn into paperweights. The solution was to
take off the plastic housing and twist the inside clamshell case
gently between your hands, causing the connection between the 2 halves
to clear and clean themselves due to friction)

I was just reading a little, is your monitor hooked powered through an
ADC connector? If so, might check the little cable for that is
connected. (again, running a little blind when it comes to the older
macs)

A computer engineer at this point would indeed be handy.

Wish I could sell you my mac pro, but due to various things beyond my
control alas its not really feasible.