Is it possible to copy and paste html links from a browser, or MS Word, into a Rev app?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:45:27 EDT 2010

I think that microsoft must put the information into the public clipboard in
a non-standard way. The fact that AbiWord can retrieve the link information
from the public clipboard tells me that it is in there. AbiWord appears to
have been specifically designed to be compatible with MS word, so AbiWord's
developers might have deliberately wrote in code to access components of the
clipboard that have been microsofticized.

Fortunately for me, after talking with the team lead at work for whom this
is relevant, I will probably be able to just build a custom interface for
their needs, and avoid this issue entirely.

If I cannot do that, then I am going to see if it is possible to use Cscript
to retrieve microsoftized parts of the clipboard.
Thanks,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> Not sure if it relates, but I have noticed that if I copy something, then
> launch a Microsoft application and try to paste it, it doesn't work.
> However, if I already have the Microsoft application running, and copy
> something from a foreign app, I can then paste it into the MS app.
>
> I believe this is because Microsoft "takes over" the clipboard, to ensure
> the proper translation of data in the clipboard to a format the MS app will
> recognize. Could this be what you are running into?
>
> Bob
>

> On Aug 16, 2010, at 2:18 PM, Jonathan Lynch wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > All of the applications we use at work (except the ones I create) are
> > microsoft applications. I will have to find something that is not from
> > microsoft to test this.
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Richard Gaskin
> > <ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Jonathan Lynch wrote:
> >>
> >> I am trying to figure out how to copy text that contains a link into a
> Rev
> but
> >>>

> >> Many apps don't copy link data to the public clipboard.
> >>
> >> Can you paste from one of those programs into another and have the links
> >> preserved?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Gaskin
> >> Fourth World