Multi-dimensional arrays, tutorial?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Aug 10 05:58:26 EDT 2010

Jim, your folder analogy is not correct, as this works fine:

put "mex" into foo["bar"]["tex"]
put foo["bar"]["tex"]
--yields: mex

With multiple arrays, I always run into conceptual problems (aka. brain pain) because in the example above:

foo is an array (has keys)
foo["bar"] is also an array and has keys
foo["bar"]["tex"] is not an array and contains text ("mex") --damn

I have written an advanced tutorial (read: confusing) on various uses for multidimensional arrays when having tab delimited data:
http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lessons/buckets/784/lessons/9678-How-do-I-convert-tab-delimited-data-into-an-array-