Copying binary files over a LAN using Rev

Web Admin Himalayan Academy katir at hindu.org
Fri Aug 6 18:27:16 EDT 2010

  Aloha, Al

Can you mount the other computer on the users's desktop? or a volume
thereon? We are an all Mac shop...

I have created a simple revision control system here for our editors
that is working quite well, for Indesign files. The core of it is simply
running cmds like:

  put ("cp " & quote & tCurrentLocationPath & quote &" "& quote &
tArchivePath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell)

the core is just "cp... " for making copies and "mv...." for renaming in
place or actually moving the file.

(I never use "rm" ever!   users must do their housekeeping manually so
that there are no evil tragedies with a failed file delete handler that
is ends up pointing to a whole folder or volume because a file var turns
up empty.... )

  # update Control string and rename the top level file
    put gUser into char -7 to -6 of pFileName
    replace "-ci-" with "-co-" in pFileName
    put gServerProjectPath &"/"& pFileName into tNewNamePath
    put ("mv " & quote & tCurrentLocationPath & quote &" "& quote &
tNewNamePath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell) # moves the file
      put gLocalProjectPath &"/"& pFileName into tNewLocalPath
    put ("cp " & quote & tNewNamePath & quote &" "& quote &
tNewLocalPath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell)
    launch (tNewLocalPath) with the uInDesignPath of this stack

Where the paths to the other volumes look like

"/Volumes/OtherMachineServer/OnTheNetwork/Version Control/"

which is stored in a custom prop in the main stack.

The stack auto mounts the server volume on the user's desktop, and also
checks the user;s ethernet or airport status to make sure he's really
connected etc. but the core is cp and mv.

I'm not sure how you would point it to an IP.  But it is probably doable.

Sivakatirswami