[RevServer tips] Spreading the load or why wise developers use asynchronous workflows

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 13:17:03 EDT 2010

Thanks Andre,  I am coming to that conclusion I believe as well.  Wrestling
with how to do some processing and save state of where it is and restart at
the left off point...

What still doesn't quite make sense to me is why if the server is already
slicing its resources amount users (I get x memory and x amount of the
processing time on the server), exactly why there then needs to be any per
process limitation time wise if the OS can already swap resources between
users.  This isn't a question I need answered, it's just a matter of wanting
to understand more concretely "all the way down" exactly how things work.  I
accept that it is so, and I suspect that the granularity of the OS time
slice parceling amongst users perhaps isn't nearly as easy if a user has a
process continually running.

Please don't spend any more time responding, I will do some side reading to
satisfy the curiosity until I reach my limit of effort to curiosity.  Thanks
again for all you put out on this list!  Great pointers for how I have to
rethink my app to turn it into a server service.

Wayne