E-mailing data file

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 4 11:00:54 EDT 2010

charles61 wrote:

On Aug 4, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Richard Gaskin [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:
 > I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which
 > could then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using
 > the built-in compress function to make the transfer much sorter.
 >
 > It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you
 > get comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities
 > opens up to you.
 >
 > The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
 > <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>
 >
 > The only problem is that I am dealing with individual computers
 > running the program and not a server. Any other ideas?

Right:  the client side isn't running the CGI, any more than they would
run your mail server if you could send the email directly.

Whether sending email or posting the message to a CGI to email for you,
both require nothing more than an Internet connection on the client.
The work is done on a server.

This assumes you have a web server available, and one that allows you to
run compiled CGI engines like the Rev CGI (a good many do these days).

The URL above describes what you'd need to set up Rev on your server,
and I can't stress enough how wonderfully useful it is to have such a
setup at your disposal, for this and a thousand other tasks you'll think
up over time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World