MacBook core i7 : Mac Mini

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Sun Aug 1 15:06:05 EDT 2010

Pierre,
I have a laptop and a Mini.
My customers have hundreds of Minis.
We've only had two Minis fail. Both were early G4s. Both failures
were the Firewire ports on the motherboard.
Everyone really likes these little computers.
An advantage of the Mini over the iMac is that it will cost less over
time. With the iMac, one is replacing everything. With the first Mini
the cost will nearly equal an iMac (especially with a good monitor,
good keyboard, and good mouse). But the next round costs much less
(approx. $700 vs approx. $1300 for another iMac). A third or fourth
round gets a new Mini with similar savings over a third or fourth iMac.
As Apple markets them, a current Mini will probably never be as fast
as a current iMac but you can afford to replace the Mini twice as
often. The price difference will also get you an SSD.
My Mini has an Intel X25-E SSD. What a difference! Startup and
application launch takes 1/10th the time.
On the Mini I use a utility called "SmartSleep". It is a UI for the
Terminal deep sleep command. When I choose "Sleep" now the Mini saves
RAM to the SSD and shuts down (takes a little longer to "sleep" but
not much). On start up (which also takes just a bit longer)
everything is loaded back into RAM and the screen is just as I left
it. I think it is the best of "shut down" and "sleep" - without
requiring a battery.
I'd use the Mini instead of a laptop on the road if I could find a
17", 1920 x 1200 monitor - seems the only one of those is in the MBP
17".

[By "good keyboard" I mean an $80 Unicomp Model "M" with Mac keycaps
(you have to call and ask for those - should last a couple decades.]

Paul Looney