[Database] Retrieving sql statement result

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Apr 29 15:34:50 EDT 2010

Hi Marcello.

It's my understanding that only SQL statements that return a value of some kind will return the data you expect. To do what you are trying to do, you would need a persistent connection, and then a way to monitor that connection for any data coming back over the socket. I suppose the RevDB api could be improved to support the kinds of things you are trying to do, but presently Revolution does not making a direct persistent connection to the SQL database, but rather is acting as a broker between the two. Otherwise you would be able to create read/write cursors, modify the cursors, then commit them to the SQL database again, which you cannot. Much of my difficulty in using SQL with Revolution revolved around this limitation.

I am willing to bet however, that you could accomplish this using shell commands. There are a great deal of posts in this forum about initiating shell sessions in the Mac terminal, or the Windows command line.

Bob