OT: Microsoft is really annoying

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 16 14:05:30 EDT 2010

Bernard Devlin wrote:

> I think all Windows installations must be assumed to be toxic.

Yes, that's the assumption I use too. It's also the reason I'm so much
in favor of running Windows in a virtual machine. In Parallels (and
maybe other emulators too, I'm not sure,) you can set a sort of bookmark
for the current state of the machine, and when you're done working you
can revert to that state. That removes anything that's been installed on
the virutal hard drive since the state was set.

So I run Windows virtually, keep no important data on it, use it only
for testing Rev apps and creating installers, and never use it to for
email or web browsing. I've got virus detection software installed but
it has never identified any malware. Rev's direct internet access works
fine and I don't mess with anything else internet-related. So far, so
good, and I haven't had to revert to the saved state yet.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com