OT: Microsoft is really annoying!

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Apr 15 19:05:39 EDT 2010

Sounds like you got ahold of one of the rare but not unheard of bugs that actually infect your boot sector. Sometimes you can mount a drive like that in an enclosure and connect it to a protected Windows computer and scan it. Typically if you are going to do a wipe and re-install, you should delete and recreate the partition, which the factory restore disk probably does not do.

As an aside, I have for years wondered if it wasn't the anti-virus vendors themselves who pay certain shady characters to come up with these viruses. Food for thought.

Bob