Clang: the thought behind Apple's insistence upon Xcode

Douglas dougtechie at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 18:02:12 EDT 2010

Hello François,
The iPad uses an ARM processor, not a G4.
The ARM chips were first utilised in the Acorn Archimedes computer range.
They were designed by a partnership of Acorn Risc Machines (ARM),
Motorola and IBM.
The instruction set is very compact, therefore easy to learn. Most
coders built up libraries of standard routines quickly and easily.
I assume that they have not really seen any need for any massive
increase in the instruction set, but I haven't seen anything about them
for quite some number of years, so I really don't know.
Multi-core ARM's now, that would be something else - I predict that may
be in Apple's future.

Douglas