Revlet as backend tool

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 09:52:32 EDT 2010

Terry,

>From all the fear and loathing generated by Apple shutting out Flash, it looks like you picked the right project at the right time. If you can corral the techniques for this project you might be a much sought after developer.

First, I'm not sure why any of the translation needs to be done on the server. Am I correct in presuming that now you have some Flash files and HTML files on the company's server. At the end of the project you want the same website, without the Flash? You can download the website to your desktop, make the translation, then upload them back to the server.

If you work on your desktop you can use Flashblocks to make the XML, then use  revStudio( or Enterprise) to translate that XML into HTML. Upload the results.

There are probably some organizational constraints to taking the simplest route.

-- specific answers
I have been asked to make a HTML-version of a Flash-based site, because not all internet browsing devices have Flash.

The site is not hosted on On-Rev, so I cannot use an .irev file.

---- If you want to use RunRev scripting in your completed website you can upload a 3.5 RunRev engine to the server and write scripts that use the engine instead of using an .irev file. Not quite as convenient, but about the same thing. For the translation it would be easier just to use your revStudio program on your desktop.

The CMS is Flashblocks; a Flash-based commercial CMS that writes all data to an XML-file. So the task of parsing the data and write it to a bunch of HTML-files should be fairly simple.

---- Richard Gaskin is the world's numero uno expert on generating HTML files from other data.

So I want to write a revlet with a simple user interface.

---- Not sure why you need a revlet. For the same time and effort you can make a standalone that does the same thing. Simpler yet, you could just use FTP to update the site (Filezilla works find).

For example: what is the standard location for a revlet to write files?

-- A revlet lives in a webpage on the client machine. It is a plug-in for your browser just like the Flash plug-in or the Silverlight plug-in. The revlet can send a message to a script on the server directing that script to write a file. But you don't need a revlet to do that. A plain ol' form can send that message using "post" or "get" to do the same thing. The heavy lifing is done on the server side. So unless there is some other reason to use a revlet you really don't need to.

Do I need to set permissions?
-- yes, on the directory where you write the file

Can it create new files and overwrite existing files?
-- yes

Hope that helps a little.