Question about RevMobile

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:21:55 EDT 2010

On 11 April 2010 16:40, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> But note that Apple didn't cancel their MacBook line when they introduced
> the iPad.

They would be a bit silly to do that at this stage. Note though they are
putting nearly all their investment into iPhone OS4 development and not OSX
development?

> Each has a very different task focus.

Yes - the question is which will become the mainstream computing device used
by most people? My guess is you feel that the laptop / desktop will be the
most common and devices like the iPad will fill a niche? Or do you think
that most computing devices will be like the iPad and PC's and laptops a
niche - used say only be developers?

But if you do a lot of typing, a device with a curved back doesn't lend
> itself well to laying flat, and holding it means typing with one hand, or
> leaning it against your crossed leg as Jobs did during the demo puts your
> wrists at a painfully vertical angle.  And beyond the question of whether
> the lack of physical feedback from a virtual keyboard will be important, the
> virtual keyboard on the iPad is missing a LOT of keys we're used to.  I just
> don't see writers or programmers falling in love with the iPad, at least not
> for work.

Personally - I'd say writing was over-rated - and that we are all going to
be quite surprised by how much we can do without it. Even so - the iPad has
a keypad, and with OS4 we can expect a lot more BlueTooth keypads
accompanying portable devices for those of us that need to write text more
efficiently - it just wont be physically attached to the device - you'll
have the option to bring it of do without.

> And then there's the difference between the quarter- to half-inch diameter
> of the human fingertip vs. the single-pixel pointer and what that means for
> precision layout tasks like making web pages or laying out controls in Rev.

And why not use a stylus? I'm actually not sure how accurate the screen of
the iPad is for stylus type use - but if the first generation deveice is not
- then expect this area to get better and better dramatically - this is not
a limitation of the touch screen interface - just a simple one of resolution
- no?

> But for media AUTHORING, we still have computers.

Possibly - yes. But that does not answer the really important question -
will 90% of machines we use to do every day "computing tasks" be what we now
call "computers" - or will they be something much more like an iPad? And if
say in 5 years time 7 out of 10 current PC users are using iPad type devices
- and only say a handful of "developers" are still using what we now
consider to be PC's - what does that mean for the industry we are in?

As a gamblin man - if anyone wants to place a long term bet against the
notion that laptops and PCs' are not going to take a heavy nose-dive in
sales, when compared to mobile phones and iPad style devices - I know where
I'd put my money - any takers out there :)